Thursday 26 November 2009

Bloodhound: on the scent of greatness


I don’t know if you’ve heard of Bloodhound yet, but trust me, you’re going to. The car (above) is Britain’s next World Land Speed Record challenger and is being developed by Richard Noble. He was the driver of the 633mph Thrust 2 in 1983, and the brains behind the current title holder, Thrust SSC, which went supersonic at 763mph in 1997. If Bloodhound succeeds in its aims, it will not just break the record but shatter it. The goal is 1,000mph and at the wheel in 2011, on a dry South African lake bed, will be current record holder Andy Green. At the media launch this week, Noble said that Bloodhound – on a computer programme at least – is capable of hitting its target speed. That’s four football pitches in a second. You’ve got to admire the team’s ambition. I’m pretty cynical about stuff generally but even I came away enthusiastic. So much so that I’ve spent £10 on having my name as one of the 330,000 that will be printed on the tail fin. You can do the same. Visit www.bloodhoundssc.com for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment