Thursday 17 February 2011

How did I get around before the iPhone?


It’s amazing how quickly the Apple iPhone and its associated apps have become part of our motoring fabric. Earlier this week I drove to Colchester railway station using my TomTom app. When I arrived I paid for my parking with my RingGo app (which is brilliant). I checked the train times using an app. When I was in the capital I navigated the streets using my A-Z app and the one for the Tube. Tomorrow morning I will be driving to Oxfordshire to interview some people at a Rolls-Royce restoration company, and will be checking the state of the traffic on my route using the RAC app. Imagine the screen of the iPhone built into the dashboard of your car. Obviously it wouldn’t be a separate screen, but the same one as the sat-nav and infotainment system. It’s only a matter of time before that happens, and with Apple-style downloadable apps part of the software of your vehicle. I predict it will be on a new car within the next two years. I know for a fact that Ford is working on this and its engineers won’t be alone. Get ready for the future.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much for the blog Richard - and really glad you like the RingGo iphone app.

    ReplyDelete