Monday 7 March 2011

Golf Cabrio reborn


The VW Golf Cabrio has a special place in my heart. Christmas 1998 was my first as a motoring journalist, and me and my girlfriend – she’s now my wife – were heading to her parents on the morning of 25 December. It obviously wasn’t warm, but it was a bright and sunny enough day for us to get the fabric roof down, wrap up in fleece jackets and woolly hats, and blast the cobwebs away down some twisty Cambridgeshire back roads. It was one of those great drives I will always remember. After a gap of 10 years the Golf Cabrio is back, unveiled at last week’s Geneva Motor Show. Sitting below the hard-topped Eos as VW’s entry level convertible – it’s about 20cm shorter – the two-door four-seater will go on sale this summer. Interestingly, the two siblings have an identical wheelbase, which means the newcomer should be pretty roomy inside. The Golf boasts an electrically-powered fabric hood which can be lowered in 9.5 seconds, including on the move at speeds up to around 18 mph. From a sentimental point of view, for me it was one of the highlights of this year’s Geneva exhibition. I can’t wait to go on the launch, and might try to sort out borrowing one for over Christmas. Knowing my luck and recent winters, it will probably snow...

No comments:

Post a Comment