Thursday 7 January 2010

4WD saves me from a chilly night


I narrowly avoided an all-nighter behind the wheel when the A12 in Suffolk recently turned into a toboggan run. The reason was a lucky double; if I’d been a couple of miles further south I’d have been stranded behind struggling HGVs, and I was in a four-wheel drive version of the all-new BMW X1 (above). It’s the first of the German firm’s SUVs to have the choice of either 4WD or RWD. Things could easily have turned out differently if I’d been supplied with the latter. Rear-wheel drive and snow/ice are not a good cocktail because there’s very little weight at the back of the car to help with grip. I can’t say I formed much of an opinion on the X1. I was too busy concentrating on staying on the road and not getting hit.

* Off to Paris tomorrow for some big – and rather mysterious – Peugeot announcement. Details next week if it’s interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment