Wednesday 24 March 2010

Potholes in the Pyrenees? Not one!


Posting this early as I'm out tomorrow driving Honda's FCX Clarity hydrogen car. More on that at a later date. I’ve just spent a day in southern France driving the new BMW 5-Series (above). It’s a hugely impressive car and for those of you who can afford it, the scorching M5 performance flagship is on the way next year. But the thing that struck me most as I drove over the Pyrenees and into Spain was the quality of the roads. There was not a pothole in sight. This is a region that’s covered in snow for large chunks of the winter months, yet the tarmac was absolutely unblemished and totally smooth to drive on. I accept these roads probably don’t get the traffic levels of the UK, but that’s not the point. Back roads near where I live don’t get much use either but they’re literally falling apart. The Pyrenees will get at least as much snow as we’ve had in the last few months, probably more and year after year, yet the highways are perfect. Sometimes I wonder where it all went wrong in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment