Thursday 14 October 2010

Still got disposable income for modding?


Was on the Isle of Wight yesterday, for the launch of the Hyundai ix20. It’s the Korean company’s new supermini-based MPV (pictured), a sort of high-roofed Ford Fiesta. A fine car it is too. Never really spent much time on the IoW. I’ve never lived close enough for it to be a viable destination for day trips, holidays, etc, but it does seem to have a thriving modifying scene. Spotting two or three shops as I drove around selling all sorts of accessories, car audio equipment, etc. I supose if you love your vehicle, but geography restricts where you can drive it easily, personalising it is the next best thing. All this got me thinking… has the recession had an impact on the modifying world? If people generally have less cash to spend, does a luxury hobby – like ripping out a perfectly good sound system to replace it with something more powerful – have to be sacrificed? I’m going to make a few calls between now and Monday to find the answers. What do you think? What are your experiences? I’d be keen to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment