Thursday 20 January 2011

Loving the Hyundai Veloster


I have fond memories of the Hyundai Coupe. In the first weeks after I started in motoring journalism – on Auto Express magazine in 1998 – I was sent on a performance driving course. It was somewhere in North Yorkshire, involved learning advanced roadcraft, but also the ins and outs of taking a car round a circuit while getting the low-down on the dark art of automotive evaluation. As my previous assignments on local newspapers had been covering courts, councils and cats up trees, this seemed impossibly glamorous. The weapon of choice for this two-day funfest was the Hyundai Coupe. It was the most sporty car I’d ever driven, and even thought I didn’t fit in it particularly well – it’s not built for people who are 6ft 4ins – it was something I will always remember. Hyundai has been missing that kind of halo car since the last of the Coupes were shifted at basement prices in 2009. Now, with the Veloster, they have something to compete with the likes of the VW Scirocco. It’s got a unique door arrangment, with one on the driver’s side and two for the passenger, and is certainly a striking looking – if not obviously attractive – machine. It will be in showrooms by the end of the year priced around £19,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment