Thursday 6 January 2011

Loving the power of online comment


I’m not sure why, but an article I wrote which was published in the Daily Telegraph’s Saturday Motoring supplement in September suddenly appeared on its website earlier this week (pictured above). No fanfare, no fuss. It just appeared as ‘new’ news with a 4 January dateline on it. I’m not complaining – I’ve been paid, I’m happy enough – but what’s interesting is the online debate it prompted. Have a look at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/green-motoring/8027759/Is-your-car-as-clean-and-green-as-you-think.html The article says that while CO2 emissions are important as they’re reckoned to cause global warming, oxides of nitrogen, carbon monoxide and particulate material from diesels are just as significant because they cause asthma. Cars you think are green because they have low CO2 actually don’t do so well on some of the other nasties. Within a few hours there were more than 20 comments from people on both sides of the debate. Some said it was great the issue was being highlighted, others got very heavy into the science and questioned my agenda. What’s facinating to me as the author is that when it first appeared in print I got a couple of emails from random people who had found my contact details online, offering their opinions. But stick it on the website and suddenly lots of people want to have their say and more importantly they can. I love that about the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment