Monday 26 September 2011

Nearly 20 years on, Lancia is back... (sort of)


Brand image isn’t everything, but it’s not far off. Lancia quit the UK in the early Nineties with not much of one left. Unreliability and rust were its biggest problems, coupled with dealers who didn’t seem to give a monkey’s. But this week marks the UK media launch of the Lancia Ypsilon (above), except it’s wearing a different badge on the front grille. Since Fiat Group rescued Chrysler from admin – so it now owns that brand plus Jeep and Dodge – the car is being sold here through showrooms that shift Grand Voyager MPVs and, well, that’s about it. I’ve never driven a Lancia and I have to say this is a launch I’ve been looking forward to for a while. What I’m most fascinated by is the business case; the Ypsilon is a premium supermini, territory occupied very successfully by the Audi A1, the entire MINI range and, to a certain extent, Fiat’s own 500. They’re cars that sell based on brand image, and neither Chrysler or Lancia, nor the unknown Ypsilon moniker, have much of that in the UK. I’ll admit I’m sceptical – and from chatting to colleagues I know I’m not alone – but will be going along Tuesday/Wednesday with an open mind. Find out my thoughts later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment