Thursday 15 December 2011

Driven: Mercedes SLS AMG


The head-turning power of a rare car never ceases to amaze me. Add into the equation an ability to offer something genuinely extraordinary – a party trick that no one else can perform – and there’s literally no end to the queue of people who will leave a sticky noseprint on the glass. This week’s wheels belong to the Mercedes SLS AMG, a car launched a couple of years ago but which I never got to drive at the time. Its ‘party trick’ is the gullwing doors, harking back to the classic 300SL of the mid-Fifties. So far I’ve driven it as far as Gatwick Airport (I’m writing this in a hotel room in Naples, where I’m driving the all-new Fiat Panda. More on that next week). But after a brief trip to our village school on Tuesday I returned to the car park to find a small crowd. Same story yesterday at the cashpoint. It’s all the usual questions; how much, how powerful, how fast. I answer happily then swiftly follow up with the truth – it’s not mine. Looking forward to the journey home later today when I’m back in the UK. Let’s just say I won’t be going the most direct route home.

No comments:

Post a Comment