Thursday 23 February 2012

It appears tax does need to be taxing...

I realise company car tax isn’t the most sparkling subject, but I would imagine knowing how much HMRC is going to take out of your wages every month is pretty important. I don’t know, being freelance it doesn’t happen to me. I have to write a large cheque once a year. Anyway, I’ve spent a chunk of this week writing an article for Auto Express magazine looking at how the company car tax Benefit In Kind (BIK) bandings – based on CO2 emissions – are going to change after 5 April this year. That’s about six weeks away. How much information is there online? Next to nothing. Even the HMRC website has only basic details in an obvious place. The rest was so hidden I couldn’t actually find it and had to ask. When I did, I was supplied with links to pdf documents that sent me round in circles. Even the HMRC man agreed it wasn’t very clear. In the end, I sent him the blank table I was trying to fill in, so they could understand what info I wanted. Even then, they told me what to do and I had to fill it in manually myself. It seems no official table comparing the current rates with what they will after 5 April actually exists. Genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment