Monday 5 March 2012

Geneva fever builds


And still they’re being announced! This year’s Geneva Motor Show looks like being one of the most product-packed for years. I’ve just received an email from a website which reckons there are in excess of 90 debuts at the exhibition’s press days, Tuesday and Wednesday. Reveals over the weekend include Jaguar’s XF estate – badged the Sportbrake and pictured above – a revised version of the Volksagen SUV concept from the Tokyo Motor Show that’s now capable of 157mpg, and an all-new Hyundai i20 supermini. For someone like me – a freelancer working on my own – it will be impossible to spend as much time as I would like with every one of these new models. The vast majority of them I will see, spend 10 seconds looking at, then move on to the next one. I have to prioritise and work out which ones I can actually make money from. Here’s an example; the Lodgy is a new MPV that might come to the UK when Renault-owned Dacia launches later here from next January. It’s hardly sexy, but I’m having dinner with a senior executive from the firm tomorrow night so I need to be up to speed on the car to get the best out of him. I’m sure it’s lovely, but it’s no XF Sportbrake.

No comments:

Post a Comment