Monday 12 November 2012

Driven: Renaultsport Twingo 133


Sitting in stationary traffic for more than three hours isn’t the ideal way to road-test a car, but if you travel the motorways of the UK regularly, these things occasionally happen. Thankfully a last-minute decision to take my laptop meant my time parked in the outside lane of the M1 wasn’t completely wasted. The car in question was the Renaultsport Twingo 133. I gave the original MkII Twingo a bit of a kicking when it was launched in summer 2007. There was absolutely nothing special about it, it just felt like a new small car from Renault – and not a very good one – with a dismal plastic interior. Things have improved dramatically after a facelift, and there is much more to like now. However, I think the thing that’s going to put most people off is the ride. I know it’s a Renaultsport product and so it’s supposed to be performance-oriented. But the stiff suspension and lack of rubber round the alloys means it’s pretty much unbearable on anything other than the smoothest tarmac. Maybe I’m just getting old…

No comments:

Post a Comment