Monday 26 November 2012

Driven: Toyota Auris


Writing this having just had a first drive in the all-new Toyota Auris. I’ve tried the hybrid and will be taking the wheel of the standard 1.6-litre petrol model tomorrow morning. It’s a decent enough car and while I’m not 100 per cent sure about the exterior design, at least someone has actually designed it – not an accusation I’d level at the outgoing model. The problem with the Auris is the competiton; in short, it’s bloody good. You’ve got Focus, Golf and Astra taking the bulk of sales and all are excellent. The Auris isn’t a bad car but it’s out-performed in every way by that trio. It doesn’t excel in any category, and while it will be reliable and is good for UK plc because it’s built in Derbyshire, the car simply isn’t good enough to take sales away from its rivals. I’ve yet to drive the Toyota GT86 but my media colleages are full of praise for the way it drives. I still think the tiny iQ is one of the unsung heros of modern motoring. Toyota can innovate so why doesn’t it with a volume car like the Auris? It chooses to play it safe and that’s frustrating. It feels like car designed by a committee.

No comments:

Post a Comment