Monday 10 December 2012

Driven: Aston Martin Vanquish


If I had a choice on the weather for driving the new Aston Martin Vanquish and the revised DB9, snow wouldn’t be it. Sometimes you just have to make the best of the hand you’re dealt, but it’s safe to say I wasn’t pushing either car to its limits on the treacherous roads around the Gaydon factory. The pair, sharing a 6.0-litre V12 under the bonnet, are as thrilling to be driving as you would expect. The start-up engine noise, on the Vanquish particularly, literally sends a shiver down the spine. I was keen to check out the firm’s choice of switchgear on the Vanquish, which has become something of a talking point with enthusiasts. Replacing some of the buttons on the vertical centre console (pictured above) are just white-lined button shapes, supposedly with a tiny vibration and sound to let you know they have been activated. It’s all very ‘smartphone’, which I’m sure is the idea. Have to say I didn’t get on with them at all. The engine note drowns out the sound and I couldn’t feel the vibration. I much preferred the actual buttons on the DB9.

No comments:

Post a Comment