Thursday 19 May 2011

Driven: all-new Kia Picanto


Writing this from a hotel room in sunny Bordeaux, where I’m driving the all-new Kia Picanto. I’ve done about 50 miles in what’s expected to be the top-selling 1.25-litre engine – there’s also a smaller three-cylinder 1.0-litre – and seen it in what’s likely to be the most popular trim, known simply as ‘2’. You won’t be surprised to learn there’s also ‘1’ and ‘3’. And I can say with my hand on my heart that you won’t find a better city car on the market for the money. Until yesterday, my favourite was the Hyundai i10, and obviously Kia is its sister company, but this is better in every aspect. It rides and handles like a much bigger machine, and on a twisty B-road can actually put a smile on your face. There’s not many city cars do that. Fuel economy of 65mpg will also make owners happy, it’s got a characterful design inside and out – it’s much funkier looking that the Hyundai – and all for around £10,000. The new Picanto is everything the Chevy Spark should have been, but wasn’t. It’s a great little car.

No comments:

Post a Comment