Thursday 30 June 2011

A pain in the back


I don’t know much about the world of car seats other than there are companies – Lear is one that springs to mind – which spend a lot of money designing and developing them. They are obviously meant to be comfortable, supportive and look smart. The ones in the latest version of the SLK, Mercedes’ smallest two-seater, definitely tick the last box. They are also technically advanced; the integrated air-scarf system, which blows warm air on to your neck to keep you warm when you’ve got the roof down, makes a genuine difference. But are they comfortable and supportive? After three hours on the road, driving from my house in Suffolk to Goodwood in West Sussex, the messages from the pain receptors in my back were telling me they were not. I don’t know why the Merc’s seats didn't agree with me, and I realise this is completely subjective, but they didn’t. I used to have a problem with the Honda S2000 too, but it’s not something I’ve experienced for a good while. It’s odd, because in last week’s Porsche Cayman R – another two-seater – I had no problem at all and happily toured the country all week. What's interesting is that a slow-burning pain in the back isn't something a potential customer is going to pick up on during a half-hour test drive off the dealer forecourt. They'll only realise a week later when it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment