Friday 7 October 2011

Near miss

Came pretty close to getting knocked off my push-bike this morning. A van driver was sat waiting to turn right out of a T-junction and I was approaching from that direction. I saw him look directly at me, turn to glance left then pull out. I’m 6ft 4ins wearing a hi-vis vest, riding on an XXL-framed bike, about 10 yards away and getting closer all the time. Yet still he decided the gap was big enough. Defensive riding learned during my motorcycling days meant my fingers were covering the brakes and I missed his back end by a couple of yards. I shouted a loud and sarcastic ‘Thank you very much!’ that he must have heard, but needless to say he just carried on. Another case of ‘looked but didn’t see’? Poor decision-making? Just an idiot who shouldn’t be on the road? Probably all three. Shook me up a bit, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment