Thursday 20 October 2011

Things can only get better


Been touring the country this week in a Renault Megane coupe. It’s the first time I’ve driven one since the media launch in 2009 and I have the same feelings now about the car’s cabin as I did then. All the design effort went into the exterior and the dashboard, instruments and centre console were left to the work experience boy. Particularly in the Monaco GP limited edition model I’m driving – white with black wheels (above) – car the really stands out from the crowd. It still looks fresh today. But the interior – the bit I have to look at all the time – is woeful. True, on this car they’ve livened it up with some sporty white trim, but that can’t hide the basic problem – far too much grey plastic. I’m sure nobody within Renault would admit it was a poor effort, but with a new design chief I hopeful things will get better. They have to, because rivals – particularly Hyundai and Kia, Citroen and Peugeot – are doing smart-looking, design-led cabins which make the Renault Megane look very dull indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment