Monday 10 October 2011

Vauxhall's quest for 'premiumness'


Interviewing car designers can be a thankless task. God knows how many I’ve sat down with over the years, but I reckon more often than not it’s a waste of time. They talk a different language, which I’m sure makes sense to them, but to me and the general public is a mystery. There are a few exceptions, and to my list of those I will happily add Mark Adams, head of design at GM Europe. I sat with him at dinner last week after driving the Vauxhall Zafira Tourer (pictured). It’s the new name for the Zafira because this MkIII version is bigger and more upmarket than before. Adams was remarkably honest about the Luton brand, where it’s been and where he’s trying to get it to go. Here’s what he told me: “I don’t think the British public perceive Vauxhall as premium. Most people think of us as Vectra and all the other older cars on the road, and we are mainstream as it’s possible to be. But I hope that with consistent execution of cars like Insignia, like Zafira Tourer, people will see us as at the very top of the volume brands, and with ‘premiumness’ as part of the package. Vauxhall lacks emotion big time. How do we add that? With visual appeal, by making the cars look exciting.” Adams came across as a genuine bloke – which is rare when designers chat to people like me – and I wish him well.

No comments:

Post a Comment