Monday 3 September 2012

Driven: Chevrolet Camaro


For reasons I can’t truly explain, I’ve always been fascinated with American performance cars. When other teenagers had Countach and Testarossa posters on their walls, I had a Corvette. I think it’s the fact that for decades they’ve managed to blend ridiculously oversized V8 engines with unique exterior designs and crap plasticky interiors… and get away with it. The new Chevy Camaro is another example, though the cabin quality isn’t as bad as some. With a 6.2-litre petrol engine hidden under a power bulge bonnet, 20mpg on the combined cycle and CO2 of 329g/km, it’s never going to be mainstream. But it’s so gloriously un-PC that I can’t help but have a soft spot for it. The Camaro isn’t even trying to have low emissions, and I like that about it. On sale from £35,000 as a LHD 2+2 coupé and convertible, this is the fifth generation of the Camaro since its debut in 1966. Now as then, it’s all about the styling and performance. It will hit 60mph in 5.0 seconds – 5.4 for the cabrio – and go on to 155mph. Yes, it lacks the refinement of virtually every rival but that’s part of the Camaro’s appeal. And I rather like it because of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment