Thursday 10 January 2013

Swipe for the future


I’ve been to a few motor shows in my 14 years as an automotive journalist. Some of them are pretty busy on press days, but I’ve never seen anything like the Consumer Electronics Show (CES). There are more than 3,000 exhibitors and more than 100,000 delegates here in Las Vegas. It’s ridiculously busy. Amid all the new TVs, tablet computers and Lord knows how many iPhone 5 cases, there have been a few motoring gems. I’ve written a report for MSN which I will post a link to when it’s live – hopefully later this week – but here’s my favourite. In the future we won’t push dashboard buttons to activate our in-car features. We will use gesture recognition technology. That’s my arm in the picture, waving over a sensor in a demonstrator booth on the stand of tech company Harman. To scroll though infotainment menu pages you simply swipe over the sensor, as you would if you were using an iPad. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment