Thursday 21 February 2013

Driven: Lexus LS600h L


I’m writing this from the departure lounge at Farnborough Airport, waiting to head off to Spain to drive the all-new Toyota RAV4. I drove here late last night in the new Lexus LS600h – the ‘L for limo’ version with extra legroom in the back – and it’s a remarkably refined vehicle. Like all good luxury saloons, you set the suspension to Comfort mode then just waft along the motorway eating up the miles. For such a big car it’s also exceptionally agile through corners, and the ‘conservative yet contemporary’ design language of the car has really grown on me in the last week. The downside is the fuel economy; with a very quiet 5.0-litre petrol engine under the bonnet, I had to adjust the display so I couldn’t see the numbers. Despite the hybrid powertrain, getting 26mpg was just too depressing to contemplate, especially as I’d just put £50 of gas in the tank. 

No comments:

Post a Comment