Wednesday 20 March 2013

Driven: Mitsubishi Mirage


Drove the Mitsubishi Mirage today and had an experience that is unique in 15 years of doing this job. The steering on my test car was so awful that I felt sure it couldn’t be how the company had engineered it. So I quietly swapped to another vehicle to find out if they were all as bad, and it’s a good job I did. Thankfully the second one was much better – the steering wheel actually felt connected to the road wheels – and I pointed out to the PR people that I felt there was a technical issue with its predecessor. It quickly disappeared from the fleet. The Mirage isn’t a direct replacement for the Colt because it’s slightly smaller on the outside, though actually they’re an indentical size inside. As a rival to the Suzuki Splash, Nissan Micra and Chevrolet Spark, it’s perfectly acceptable, and on paper it’s got plenty of ‘best in class’ credentials, including fuel economy of 68.9mpg and CO2 emissions of 95g/km. But I would say it doesn’t come close to matching what I think is the ‘best in class’ as an overall package, the Kia Picanto.

No comments:

Post a Comment