Sunday 17 July 2011

The crazy French

The words ‘car chase’ and ‘funeral cortege’ don’t often appear in the same sentence, and for good reason. But then again, I’ve never been to a funeral in France before, so maybe that’s just how they do it. The plan was for a convoy of cars to drive from the funeral parlour to the crematorium, a distance of perhaps 20 miles, most of which was autoroute. At the front was a converted Mercedes Vito van carrying the coffin of my good friend Colin. I was expecting something slow and sedate at maybe 40mph. Instead, as soon as we got on the autoroute, the Vito set off at a hell of a pace overtaking all and sundry. We mourners, in a mix of British-plated family runabouts a long way from home and hire cars, were struggling to keep up. I hit 95mph briefly in my rental Corsa just trying to keep the van in sight. It wasn’t exactly dignified, but I think Colin would have found it quite funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment