Thursday 21 July 2011

A very talented young man


Aged 14 and taking my exam options, I was politely invited not to bother with Art. I had plenty of creative imagination, teacher Mr Perry told my parents, but lacked any sense of skill with a pencil to get it down on paper. So I am always in awe of people who can draw, particuarly to the sort of standard I saw on Tuesday. I was in Maranello, Italy for the results of the prestigious Ferrari World Design Content 2011, which brought together the world’s most talented young automotive design students, including some from London’s famous Royal College of Art. What they can do with a pencil – and then with some very fancy computer software, and then with a scapel and a block of clay – is genuinely inspiring. But it’s more than that; as well as being good at art they have the vision to pen something that’s unique and innovative. Congratulations go to a confident young man from Sussex called Henry Cloke, (above) who clearly has a very bright future ahead of him. Taking 3rd place overall doesn’t sound like a triumph, but there were 400 original entries and it's done his career prospects no harm at all. And well done also to the South Korean team from Hongik University in Seoul, whose reaction when their overall victory was announced brought a smile to many faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment