Monday 25 July 2011

The sat-nav with consciousness


It’s amazing how quickly we have come to accept and rely on the technology in modern cars. Getting into my VW Sharan test car, I turned on the radio, ignored the FM/AM options and went straight to the crystal-clear DAB digital channels (pictured). Before I set off I paired my phone with the built-in Bluetooth so I could make and take any calls hands-free. When I got stuck at the railway crossing on the way out of my village, the stop/start system killed the engine to save fuel. All well and good… which is why it was quite amusing when the sat-nav suddenly took on a life of its own. Despite not having a route programmed in – I knew where I was going and that I was going to get stuck in rush-hour M25 traffic, so what was the point? – the system suddenly decided to give me a verbal message. It helpfully warned me of traffic congestion ahead. Excellent, a system that can think for itself. The irony was I’d been slowly crawling around the northern section of my least favourite motorway at about 20mph for the previous 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment