Thursday 19 April 2012

Driven: Peugeot 107


How fast will a three-cylinder city car go when M25 traffic has made you late for a plane? Turns out the answer is 93mph and very impressive it was too. I’m not in any way condoning speeding, and it was my decision and my risk, but the life of a freelancer is simple. You don’t make money if haven’t got a story to sell. Foolishly I’d only left four hours for a two-hour trip – yes, you read that right – and so when the rush-hour jam finally cleared I had a last-minute dash to get to Farnborough Airport. The city car in question was Peugeot’s facelifted 107 and I walked away from it with a new-found respect. Okay, the engine was noiser than if I was driving at 70mph, but on the whole it was more than up to the challenge I’d unwittingly set it. I reached check-in just as the last of my colleagues passed through the x-ray machine. Perfect timing. The 107 has a new front end, higher levels of standard kit and emissions down to 99g/km. The same is true of its siblings, the Citroen C1 and Toyota’s Aygo. Competition in this sector has been fired up thanks to the arrives of another threesome – the VW up!, SEAT Mii and Skoda Citigo – but the Peugeot proved it’s ready for a fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment