Thursday 9 August 2012

An Olympic task


There’s only one story in town at the moment, and I will confess I’ve not been as work-focused as I should have been. Watching the Olympics has been part of my life since I was a kid – my dad was a keen athletics fan and sometime marathon runner – so having it in London has been amazing. I’ve been to the Olympic Park twice in the last fortnight, to see water polo and athletics (sorry the blog has been a bit patchy!) and to be part of the experience is something I will always remember. Interesting to note that all the doom and gloom about transport chaos doesn’t really seem to have materialised. The story has been about British success, not the traffic jams caused by the Games Lanes. I’m sure things have gone wrong behind the scenes – given the scale of the logistical operation that’s hardly surprising, and I’m sure they did in Beijing, Athens, Sydney, etc as well – and I’m sure there’s been some cheesed-off drivers in the capital. But it’s not been serious enough to be newsworthy. And that’s fantastic. People will remember the Games for the right reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment