Thursday 16 August 2012

The born again biker


Rather looking forward to tomorrow. Will be spending the day on two wheels rather than four, refreshing my rather rusty motorcycling skills on a rider training course for a feature in the Honda customer magazine Honda Dream. It’s about people coming back to bikes after a number of years away, and it’s about 20 years since I last owned one. These people – dubbed ‘born-again bikers’ – are making up a sizeable chunk of purchasers at the moment, driven by a desire to relive something they enjoyed in their youth, but also the fact that running a motorbike instead of a second car – perhaps to do the daily commute on – is a practical and cost-effective way to get around. Sadly, they’re also a big accident statistic. The attitude is “I had a 600cc back in the day so I’ll get the same again”, not appreciating it’s a very different machine; lighter, faster and with much better brakes. The refresher course I’m taking tomorrow is offered by www.camrider.com through Honda bike dealerships in the East Anglia region and I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment